Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua says he and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will rematch in the UFC before they retire

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

RuaShogun_180_3.jpg
Almost seven years ago, two future UFC Light Heavyweight Champions in Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua squared off in the opening round of the 2005 Pride Middleweight Grand Prix. In that fight, Rua handed Jackson one of the most brutal losses of his career when he connected with soccer kicks that put Jackson out cold.

Now in 2012, a rematch has been on the minds of both of them for some time. Jackson wanted that fight to be the one he had in Japan last weekend at UFC 144, but a five round war with Dan Henderson kept "Shogun" from being able to make that date. Still, he doesn't want the fight any less, and believes it is a bout that will definitely happen at some point in the future.

"The fight against Rampage will happen eventually," Shogun said in an interview with Tatame.com. "It's inevitable and UFC knows it. He won't retire before fighting me and neither [will] I (laughs)."

That's not to say it will be the next fight for either of them. Rampage's loss to Ryan Bader on Saturday night sets him back a bit, and there are other potential opponents who could be waiting in the wings for "Shogun" upon his return.

"I don't discard Ryan Bader nor Rampage, Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin... I guess there are many guys I could fight," he said. "Actually, soon I'll know more about it and I'll keep you posted. I'm sure I'll train focused on my opponent and he's going to be a hard one."

Penick's Analysis: A Shogun-Rampage fight is a big name fight still for each of them, but with Jackson reeling from a knee injury before and during the fight that's not likely to be the next fight for either of them. I think a fight between Shogun and Phil Davis could be in order, even a returning Rich Franklin could be a potential top matchup for him as well. Outside of that, there's not a ton available, and I don't know if it's right to put him in there with Ryan Bader with him coming off a loss and Bader off a win; though I suppose that might have some potential. Regardless, if the Rampage-Shogun fight does happen in the future, it could certainly be a desirable matchup for all involved.

[Shogun Rua art by Grant Gould (c) MMATorch.com]

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_12649.shtml

Dos Caras Jr   Phil Cardella Roan Jucao Carneiro Shane The Engineer Carwin 

No comments:

Post a Comment