Sunday, June 24, 2012

Gray Maynard says simply winning "isn't enough" against Clay Guida at UFC on FX 4

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Gray_Maynard_180_2.jpg
Gray Maynard had two cracks at the UFC Lightweight Championship in 2011, but despite nearly stopping Frankie Edgar in each of the two fights, he came away without a win. That title still remains ingrained in his mind as he prepares for a bout with Clay Guida in the main event of Friday's UFC on FX 4 card in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

"My girl is pregnant and that changes your outlook in life," Maynard said this week in quotes released by the UFC. "I don't just want that belt for myself now, but to secure the future for my kid who's about to come into the world. Being a world champion and having big fights secures my kid's future."

"I've knocked the UFC world champion down five times and probably been as close to the title as you can get without actually holding it. I want to go one punch, one second, better next time. It was very frustrating not being able to get the win despite beating Edgar up, and it took a long time getting over it. But I'm back and I know I'm able to beat anyone in the division."

First up is Guida, who himself is coming off a loss against the man who now holds the belt in Benson Henderson. With Nate Diaz and Anthony Pettis also staking their claims for shots at the belt, the division is once again very crowded at the top. Maynard said he's now feeling that frustration others have now that he's not the one causing the hold up.

"There's a big traffic jam at the top of the lightweight division," Maynard said. "You've got Clay up there, Nate Diaz has been looked great, and there's Anthony Pettis plus Frankie is rematching with Ben Henderson in [August]. There's a big traffic jam in the division now – and now [that] it isn't me causing it I think it sucks!"

Now that he's not the one causing it, he knows he needs to have some major performances in order to get back into that mix. Indeed, he said a win alone on Friday night isn't going to be enough.

"Winning on Friday night against Guida isn't good enough," he said. "I know I've got to knock him out, make a statement, to make my case for a title shot. I know it's not likely I get another fight with Frankie so soon, but if Ben keeps the belt I think I make sense as No. 1 contender. I've already beat Diaz, but he's earned his spot at the top of the division, and I'd be happy to fight him for No. 1 spot anytime."

Penick's Analysis: Maynard's got a big hill to climb to get back to a title shot in the UFC again. Having two cracks in a row at the belt is rare enough; without winning either of them the UFC will be wary of rushing him back into another title fight regardless of who the Champion is at that point. He's going to need to impressively defeat Guida, then he's going to need to get another top opponent in his next bout after that. That's at least what he needs, and there may be even more required before he sees himself competing for that title. It all starts Friday, and he understands he needs something impressive against Guida.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_13655.shtml

Jon Olav Einemo Per Eklund Jason Ellis Aleksander Emelianenko

No comments:

Post a Comment