Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nate Marquardt No Longer Taking Testosterone (TRT)

UFC Middleweight Nate Marquardt

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson may have discovered the fountain of youth since starting Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), but Nate Marquardt (Pictured) claims he no longer needs the controversial treatment that ultimately lead to his UFC firing exactly one year ago.

Last June, Marquardt revealed he was medically prescribed TRT in August 2010 because he was feeling sluggish, tired and moody. At the time, the 33-year-old admitted the added testosterone helped his condition tremendously. “Nate the Great” now professes he’s doing just fine without it.

“I didn’t know if I was going to be able to fulfill my dreams going that route,” Marquardt expressed on The MMA Hour. “I just feel it was so much of a hassle and a stress with the commissions and all that, that the right thing for me to do right now is to choose not to do it.

“Definitely I’ve pursued a lot of other stuff to try to help my health and a lot of it’s helping. I feel great right now. I’m in really good shape and that’s not something I’m worried about right now.”

While some reports suggest TRT must be used for life once treatment has begun, Marquardt said smarter training and getting his allergies and sleep apnea under control has helped him put TRT in his rear-view mirror.

Many pundits believe TRT has become a legal performance-enhancing drug in mixed martial arts. As its popularity has become more prevalent in the sport, with former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir emerging as the latest fighter taking it, state athletic commissions are under pressure to ban TRT because athletes appear to be exploiting a loophole in the system.

Marquardt understands the argument, but in this world, if you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’ – and people are gonna to be tryin’ until the day they’re dyin’. Regardless if TRT is in the picture or not.

“It’s not for me to point fingers. I don’t know each and everyone’s situation,” Marquardt said. “I know there’s guys out there that need it, that have a medical need for it, and I think it’s unfair for those guys to do away with it. But at the same time, I’m sure there are guys who misuse TRT, but there’s also guys who plain out use steroids.

“Guys are going to cheat no matter what. That’s something that you can’t get around.”

Marquardt makes his post-TRT debut against Tyron Woodley on July 14th. The welterweights will battle for Strikeforce’s vacant 170-pound crown.

Source: http://www.5thRound.com/118347/nate-marquardt-no-longer-taking-testosterone-trt/

Michael Bisping  Dan Bobish Vagam Bodjukyan Kotetsu Boku 

No comments:

Post a Comment