Monday, July 30, 2012

Alistair Overeem says he doesn't need warm-up fight, but ready for any opponent in UFC return

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

OvereemAlistair_180_43.jpg
Alistair Overeem's license denial this year was supposed to serve as a punishment for using a drug containing testosterone without any approval from the commission. Instead, Overeem has seemingly relished the forced time off, and he reiterated that point this week in an interview with MMAWeekly.com.

"This time off is perfect," Overeem said. "After this, I have a full four years of dedication [to fighting]. For me it doesn't matter when I fight. I don't need to have a warm-up fight. I'm going to leave that up to the gentlemen of the UFC to decide. If they want me to go for the title, I'm ready for that."

Overeem is leaving himself open for any matchup from the UFC, and indeed the timing likely won't work for him to get an immediate title shot, but that doesn't change his thoughts on what will happen when he does get to face Champ Junior dos Santos.

"I'm going to lay low and fight whoever they put in front of me," Overeem said. "I'm going to get my hands on [Dos Santos] and when I do, he's all mine."

Penick's Analysis: The license denial has been nothing more than an inconvenience for the UFC at this point. Overeem's moving ahead as if there was no wrong-doing at all, and he's treating this as a time just to get better. He's going to return in full force, and whether it's a title fight or not he'll be expected to have a big performance. He clearly feels he'll have an advantage over anyone he'll face, and it seems like many, including the UFC, are going to be welcoming him back as if nothing happened.

[Alistair Overeem art by Grant Gould (c) MMATorch.com]

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_13961.shtml

Joachim Hansen Antoni Hardonk Dan Hardy Lee Hasdell

No comments:

Post a Comment