Friday, June 1, 2012

Kenny Florian calls it quits on career due to back injury

Unfortunately, it appears one of the original faces of the new generation of UFC stars has set foot inside the Octagon for the final time as a fighter. Kenny Florian, who burst on the scene in 2005 as a finalist on the first season of TUF, announced his retirement from MMA last night while citing health-issues as the reason behind him hanging up his gloves.

“What it came down to was that my back just wasn’t getting back to where it was,” Florian said at the weigh-ins for the Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale, alluding to a herniated disc he suffered months back while lifting weights. “I was not able to train the way I was before, and it’s been going on for a while. I’ve dealt with injuries before and I’ve dealt with a back injury before, but with this new injury that I suffered in November, I just haven’t been the same since.”

“I hope that everyone saw a guy who really dedicated his life to the sport and a guy who always worked really hard to evolve in every single fight and every single session, and to get better and hopefully take the sport to another level,” he continued. “And that’s really what I aimed to do, to get the best out of myself and raise my level every time.”

Florian Opts Against Back Surgery, Still Having Issues

The 36-year old Florian walks away from MMA with a 14-6 record including twelve wins in the UFC. He fought in four weight-classes, competed for a trio of titles, and holds past victories over a number of legitimate foes including Joe Stevenson, Roger Huerta, Joe Lauzon, Takanori Gomi, Sam Stout, and Clay Guida.

Florian will remain part of the UFC as a broadcaster.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Source: http://www.fighters.com/06/01/kenny-florian-calls-it-quits-on-career-due-to-back-injury

Rashad Evans Urijah Faber Wagnney Fabiano Kevin Kimbo Slice Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment