Tuesday, August 14, 2012

ROUNDTABLE: Predictions for Ben Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar rematch at UFC 150

HendersonBen_GG180_15.jpg
Predict the outcome of UFC 150's Ben Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar rematch - who wins and how?


RICH HANSEN, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

I can't think of one reason that the sequel will be any different than the first fight. Henderson by decision. But since it's impossible to break down the dynamics of a sequel any more thoroughly than Shawn Ennis did on Wednesday, just go read his piece HERE: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Ennistake/article_14075.shtml

Sorry for the cop-out, but when Shawn's on it, he's freaking on it.


ANWAR PEREZ, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

I think Frankie Edgar will weather another big storm from Ben Henderson, and grind out a decision. The previous fight was very close, and if Edgar can fine tune his game plan, then he may be able to take Henderson to the limit and get a more decisive decision in his favor. I don't see either fighter being stopped, so it'll be Edgar via decision.


FRANK HYDEN, MMATORCH CONTRIBUTOR

I think Henderson wins by another close decision. These guys are very even, but I think Henderson pulls it out. This should be a really good fight. I expect several near-finishes, and a lot of excitement.


ERIC HOBAUGH, MMATORCH CONTRIBUTOR

Frankie Edgar is always a fan favorite. He is one of the most exciting fighters in recent memory at any weight class. He is fighting much larger fighters at 155 and he needs to drop down to 145. I think after he loses to Henderson at UFC 150, via decision, he will have one tune up fight to get a title shot at featherweight. I think he may be the only realistic threat to Jose Aldo's title in the next two years. This also sets up a huge pay-per-view fight for the UFC.


BRAD WALKER, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

I think Bendo is sick and tired of the rematch crap thats going on in his division and he will decisively knock out Edgar late in the third round before calling out Pettis or Diaz. It has all the makings of a great scrap but I don't expect either fighter to let this bout make it to the judges scorecards.


JASON AMADI, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

These are the two best lightweights in the world and I expect another super close decision in their rematch. The takedowns were competitive, the striking was close and neither really pulled away with the grappling edge. However, the x-factor in their last fight was the damage Benson Henderson was able to do to Frankie Edgar.

The kicks Henderson threw were hard, his jab did visible damage to Edgar's eye, his ground and pound was ferocious and obviously the upkick broke Edgar's nose. Frankie Edgar dropped him in the fifth round for a split second, but in terms of actual damage, Henderson ran away with a couple rounds.

Since this will likely be determined by the judge's, Edgar would have to really outland Benson Henderson by some outrageous margin to make up for the damage "Bendo" will likely do to him. I think we're in for another competitive, "Fight of the Year" type bout, but ultimately I like Henderson to win the decision and finally move the lightweight division forward.


SHAWN ENNIS, MMATORCH SENIOR COLUMNIST

I have no idea how this fight ends. Truly I don't. That's why I love this kind of fight. All I know is that it's going to be awesome. If I had to pick a winner (which I suppose is the point of the question), I'd have to go with Edgar. My brain says Henderson, but my brain has said Edgar's opponent since the first B.J. Penn fight, and look where that has gotten my brain. The problem is that I don't know how Edgar wins this fight. Henderson seems to have all the tools to beat Edgar, but the guy just has no quit in him. So I'm going to say that Edgar guts out another five-round decision and takes the lightweight title back by out-boxing Henderson and keeping the fight where he wants it. If there's a stoppage I can't imagine Edgar being the one who gets it, so if it doesn't go the distance I'm calling it for Henderson. That being said I think there's a really good chance we're going five rounds here, and there's just as good a chance that both guys will be ready to go another five when it's over. So there you go. Edgar by split decision to regain the lightweight title. But it would be utterly unsurprising should the fight go the other way. The only way I'll be shocked here is if Edgar is able to choke Henderson out (how's that for a copout?).

[Ben Henderson art by Grant Gould (c) MMATorch.com]

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/roundtables/article_14093.shtml

Marcus Davis  Tony DeSouza  Edwin Dewees  Nick Diaz 

No comments:

Post a Comment